Acne simplex is one of the most common problem of teens. It is estimated that around 85% of teens suffer from acne at some point of time.
Before jumping to the diet lets check out the factors causing acne –
- When sebum gets accumulated in the blocked pores, it can work as perfect breeding ground for bacteria, leading to acne breakout.
- Hormonal changes also leads to acne
- Chronic stress can lead to acne breakout
- Improper skin care can lead to variety of skin disorders including acne
- Research shows certain foods which have high Glycemic Index (baked foods, sugary foods, sweet beverages) can lead to acne breakouts.
- Wash the face twice daily (over washing can make face dry, so use oil free products)
- Keep your hair clean, as hair travels to the skin and it can worsen the problem
- Do not touch/squeeze acne
- Do not scrub hardly or roughly as it can irritate the skin
Diet – ‘We are what we eat’
- Water plays the most vital part in keeping skin hydrated and beautiful. It helps to flush out toxins and thus providing a healthy looking skin
- Oranges contains Vitamin C which is essential for preventing and healing of acne
- Tomatoes too contains Vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, foliate and antioxidants which helps in enhancing the skin health
- Avocado contains Vitamin C, vitamin E and 5 other minerals and vitamins making it nutrient rich food which has anti aging and anti inflammatory properties
- Almonds contains zinc which helps in reducing acne. It also contains Vitamin E, fiber, magnesium, riboflavin, potassium and low glycemic index
- Cashews contains zinc, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, fibre, calcium, iron which makes it healthy for healing acne.
- Beetroots contains Vitamin A, vitamin E, potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, iron, fiber and hence helps in preventing acne and is excellent for anaemia.
- Walnuts contains omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin E, zinc, iron, selenium. It has many beneficial properties for enhancing skin tone
- Flax seeds contains omega 3 fatty acids, zinc, selenium, vitamin E, iron. It can be added to your yogurt or eaten raw.
- Red Grapes contains contains huge amount of vitamin C, vitamin K, fiber and is packed with anti-oxidants.
Mustard seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, zinc, iron, fiber. It is used abundantly in India and helps in controlling inflammatory nature of our body.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in vitamin E, vitamin K, zinc and also contains omega 3 fatty acids. This can also be used in our meal planning as it has benefits in improving skin and liver.
- Blue berries, Black berries contains Vitamin C, vitamin K, anti-oxidants etc and hence are very beneficial in preventing acne and it also keeps blood sugar level in check.
- Yogurt is helpful in enhancing healthy gut bacteria
- Cucumber has vitamin C, vitamin E and is one of the best food for hydrating our body
- Dark Vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, kale, spinach contains iron, magnesium, fiber etc and helps in improving skin, high Blood Pressure, Diabetes, etc