- First is hydrating the body. We all know ‘water is the fountain of youth’. Also, psoriasis get worse if the skin gets dry. Approximately 50% to 70% of our body mass is made up of water, including skin, tissues, cells and the organs. Water removes toxins and waste products from the body thereby cleansing it.
- Second comes hygiene. Bathing acts as a medicine for skin. It helps in detoxing the body, increases circulation, maintains optimum temperature and Ph required for healthy skin.
- Alcohol, tobacco consumption are also seen as factors aggravating the problem. Anything that impacts human immune system can be counted as a risk inducing factor for psoriasis. Hence, avoid alcohol, tobacco.
- Use good moisturizing lotion which is best suited for your skin type. For example, for thick and dry skin use petroleum jelly. Coconut oil acts as good moisturizer for mild psoriasis. Combining moisturizer, lotions, creams, and other topical ointments are often the first treatment for people with mild psoriasis because they may reduce the scaling, itching, and discomfort that can occur.
- Drugs like anti-malarial, lithium based, beta-blockers can aggravate it, hence, talk about it to your doctor.
- Avoid food which contains gluten, such as, bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, pizza. Many people have shown significant improvement after making dietary changes. Researches are still going on to find out more about dietary relationship.
- People get allergic sensitivity to specific food items which can too cause flare-ups. Please consult a doctor to find out about yours.
- Diet, such as, cucumber, green leafy vegetables, walnuts, avocado, berries, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, olive oil, carrots, sweet potato, spinach, kale, mangoes, strawberries and figs have shown positive findings in psoriasis.
- Relaxation techniques, such as, meditation and yoga helps in stress reduction. Stress can aggravate multiple diseases in body including psoriasis. Hence, for a good mind and body, stress elimination is very important. Try to spend at-least half an hour on relaxation activities in a day.